top of page

Moving to Fort Liard

Congratulations on your decision to move to Fort Liard

We hope you will find this site useful in learning all you can about your new home. Of course, if you have any questions that we do not address here, please do not hesitate to contact the Hamlet of Fort Liard at (867) 770-4104 or contact us by email at . We will do all we can to help you get settled in. Below is a list of phone numbers and websites for utility companies and government services, as well as other places you may need to contact.


It is important to note that there are no banks in Fort Liard. The closest banks are the CIBC and Scotiabank, 210 km away, in Fort Nelson, BC. However, there are two cash machines in town. One at the General Store, and the other is located in the Northern Store. Drafts, postal money orders, money transfers, and some cheque cashing services are available at the Northern Store. Remember to update your address with your current bank.


Different houses in Fort Liard are heated in different ways. Some use woodstoves, while some use oil burning furnaces, electric furnaces, propane furnaces, or a combination of heating sources. If your new residence uses oil or propane, contact the Liard Fuel Centre for fuel services at (867) 770-3216.

Health Care

If eligible, you may register for your territorial health care card at the Fort Liard Health Centre. Call (867) 770-4301 for more information. You can also visit the GNWT - Health & Social Services  website for more information.


High-speed internet is offered through NorthwesTel and can be packaged with phone service.  Visit their website at or call 1-888-423-2333 for more information on their services.

Postal Address

Fort Liard does not have home mail delivery. Post office boxes can be rented (subject to availability) at the Northern, which is where the Canada Post outlet is located. If you do not have a post office box, mail can be addressed to:

"Your Name"
General Delivery
Fort Liard, NT
X0G 0A0


Electricity is provided by the Northwest Territories Power Corporation . You can reach the NTPC at 1-800-288-4784 or the local power plant at (867) 770-4290.


Local telephone services are provided by NorthwesTel. You can reach NorthwesTel at 811 from the Yukon, NWT, Nunavut and Northern British Columbia. If you are calling from outside of their operating area, call 1-800-661-0493. Service is available from Monday to Friday, between 7 am - 7 pm (PST).

Cellular phone service is available if you are on the NMI Mobility network. You can reach the NMI Mobility customer care line at 1-800-268-7049. NMI Mobility accounts are based out of Fort Nelson, BC, and all accounts are long-distance from Fort Liard.


A broad range of television stations are available through satellite services such as Bell ExpressVu and Shaw. The Northern Store acts as an agent for Bell ExpressVu.

Water & Sewer

Fort Liard does not have water or sewer lines. Water delivery is provided by truck and sewage is stored in septic tanks, which is removed by vacuum truck. You must have an account with the Hamlet of Fort Liard for water and sewage services. Visit the Municipal Services link for rates or call (867) 770-4104 for more information.

Vehicles & Licensing

To register your vehicle in the Northwest Territories (and to get one of those nifty polar bear license plates) or to obtain an NWT driver's license, call (867) 695-7652. These services are available at the weigh scale just outside of town. Visit the GNWT - Department of Transportation  website for more information. Remember, you may be eligible for a partial refund if you return your old license plates to their issuing agency.


Please note that the speed limit in Fort Liard is 30 km/h.

Did you remember to cancel any utilities and close any accounts that you no longer need and change your address for the ones that you do need? Here is a list of things you may need to update:

Health & Professional Services

  • Dentist/Orthodontist

  • Doctor

  • Lawyer

  • Non-government supplementary health plan

  • Opthamologist

  • Organ and Blood donor contact information

  • Other

Government & Public Offices - Federal

  • Canada Pension Plan

  • Employment insurance

  • Family allowance

  • Income tax (CCRA)

  • Old Age Security

  • Post office

  • Veteran's affairs

  • Other


  • Alumni associations

  • Auto clubs

  • Professional or trade associations

  • Other

Utilities & Services

  • Appliance services

  • Electric

  • Fuel

  • Garbage (special pick-up)

  • Gas

  • Internet service provider

  • Lawn/garden services

  • Pool services

  • Telephone (local and long distance, cellular and residential)

  • Television (cable/satellite)

  • Water

  • Water treatment

  • Other

Government & Public Offices - Provincial/Territorial

  • Driver's license and vehicle registration

  • Health plan

  • Hospital insurance

  • Other​


Business Accounts

  • Airline rewards program

  • Banks

  • Broker

  • Charge accounts

  • Credit cards

  • Diaper service

  • Department store accounts

  • Finance companies

  • Housecleaning service

  • Insurance (home, auto, life, etc.)

  • Loan institutions

  • Pension plan

  • Other

bottom of page